Sunday 3 June 2007

The Isle of Jura Fell Race 2007









The Isle of Jura Fell Race 2007


At last years Man V Horse I mentioned Jura as a race to do to celebrate my 40th birthday. Andy Staveley quickly pointed out that as it had been said, it had to be done. A little bit of research into the event caused warning bells to ring. The words “extreme”, “testing” and “navigation” were always mentioned and I knew enough about the fell running fraternity to recognise that these were no idle warnings. And so it came to pass that myself, Neil Smith, Mick Green, Pete Noble, Andy Staveley, Martyn Pollitt all set sail for the Isle of Jura.


Challenge 1 : The Getting There

Jura is remote, very remote, well, very, very remote. A long drive, 4 ferries and a couple of bus journeys are required to get there. Hardy types cycle across the islands and proper athletes walk it.( Pete Noble). I was concerned for my energy levels so I flew to the neighbouring island of Islay but still had to jump( gingerly) in an out of taxis to complete the journey. The effort however was well worth it; Jura is staggeringly beautiful, and unspoilt. The island is dominated by the Paps (big volcanic looking mountains) and fringed with sandy beaches and aquamarine waters (honest).

Challenge 2 : The Staying There

Once again there are easy and hard options; hotel/B+B and camping, Now some of you may be aware of my aversion to the art of camping, but in this instance I think the “campers” may well agree. Mauling around in a sweaty, enclosed space, in Scotland, in the rain, with midges the size of fruit bats trying to eat you is, in my opinion, just making life far too difficult for yourself. The fact the hotel sells midge proof garments speaks volumes.

Mick and Caroline, Andy Staveley and Martyn Pollitt and Pete Noble thought differently and braved it under the canvas, and to be fair the weather was kind and the showers finally worked on the Saturday.
In contrast, our B+B was lovely, hot showers, nice food, a roof and closable windows, no bee keeping apparel required whatsoever.

Challenge 3 : The Race

This bit I couldn’t wimp out of. 16 miles, 7500 ft of climbing, it’s hard, very hard. The Paps loom over the island a bit like Mount Etna – but bigger and there are three of them ( OK smaller but you get my drift). They seem from a distance unclimbable, probably because close up they are unclimbable, well almost. The race takes you through deep bogs and over 7 mountain summits (3 being the Paps). The climbs are stiff and the descents are through sheer scree and it’s all on the move. Boulders the size of tables are sliding about and bouncing down the hillsides, as are some of the runners. This is the extreme bit previously mentioned, and is something I had never experienced before. It was more akin to snowboarding than running at times ( I couldn’t do that either!).The views were stunning and fortunately as the weather was superb we didn’t need to navigate as there were enough people to follow. It was very sociable though, as most people in the race seem to pass me by and spare a few words of wisdom such as “wait until you see the next climb” and “if you think this bits hard”, and “don’t worry the sheer drop’s over there” usual stuff.
The last three miles are flat and on the road, which was a welcome surface to run on and I even managed to pass a few runners. I never quite managed to pass Pete Noble though I was within yards of him before he spotted me and did what I can only describe as a “comedy sprint” and shuffled over the line wracked with cramp. Great welcome home from the team and Sheila who I think was beginning to worry a little.

A fine day and probably the most rewarding running experience I’ve had.


Challenge 4 : The Piss-up

The Lostock and Burnden contingent were on firmer ground with the post race drinking and ceilidh, despite the rigours of the day. Mick and Caroline were last “men” standing and partied well into the wee hours. We were all a little delicate the next day.


Challenge 5 : The Getting Home

As above in reverse, but longer


Challenge 6 : The Next Challenge

We are open to ideas for next year’s excursion.

Thanks to all who joined me on the quest. Our runners; Mick, Neil, Pete, Andy and Martyn and our supporters, Liz, Caroline and Sheila. A great, great weekend. Results as listed (side issue).

1 comment:

Armin said...

There's a half marathon on Islay, I think usually some time in August. How about that one?

Nice report from the race, just linked to you from my blog:

IslayBlog.com: Jura Fell Race 2007